Thursday, September 28, 2006

More from Andrew Sullivan on Christianism.

He has a very scary post regarding a recent meeting of something called the “Family Research Council/ Focus on the Family/ American Family Association” summit in Atlanta. The following is from one of his readers.

I went to the Family Research Council/Focus on the Family/American Family Association "Values Voters" summit this weekend at the Omni.

It is much, much worse than we know.

The first woman I spoke to (from Erie, PA) railed on about how Chuck Hagel is a flaming liberal and John McCain should be tried for treason. I thought that maybe I'd run into an isolated crazy. Oh no - it only got worse from there. The level of contempt for anyone who diverges from the Holy Word of W is beyond description. I was sort of 'undercover' so I could just let people talk to me, not leading the conversation, not baiting, and it horrified me to hear how many were perfectly comfortable with any form of torture in the name of patriotism if the Commander In Chief gave it the ok.

...snip...

There is no room for disagreement, because it is tantamount to evil. Dissent is the same as blasphemy, and everything is approached in orthodox terms. I've always been a conservative because I believe that there is such a think as good and evil and that moral relativism is a crazy road on which logic can rarely stick. I believe in limited government and individual liberty. I know I can do things better than any bureaucracy ever will. But what conservatism has become with these people is horrifying. They'd trade liberty for a handshake from W., compassion for power. And they've got one amazing plan in place to make sure that future generations have a tighter, more limited, and clearly more hostile worldview. I went there hoping to prove myself wrong about what I thought was happening, but I just couldn't do it.



This is some very, very scary stuff. This is what I was talking about in one of my recent posts. These people know the have the full backing of God, whatever they decide to do and no matter how grotesque and contradictory their opinions become. God will always be on their side.

If these people were to gain control of this country, I think we would have something much worse in this country than has ever been envisioned by any of us this side of a fictional novel or science fiction movie. We would have ghettoes or concentration camps for gays and lesbians. We would have mandatory membership in a fundamentalist Christian church and no absences allowed on any of the scheduled services. Dissent would not be tolerated, and it wouldn’t be long before the “undesirable elements” in society would join homosexuals in those concentrations camps.

I don’t know what the rest of the world might think of a fundamentalist Christian country that abhors anyone that does not fit their ideal of a “true believer”, and one that is armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons on top of loads and loads of your garden-variety military weaponry. Where might Bush’s notion of preemptive military strikes take us when the definition of what is threatening to us changes to “anybody who is not us”? I could see many countries lining up and waging a preemptive war with us because they feel threatened, which is otherwise known as “What’s good for the goose….”

In other words, if we, as a country, are actually contemplating dropping a nuclear bomb on Iran because they might, someday, somehow drop a nuke on us, well, maybe they might be thinking that they should maybe get the jump on us first.

No comments: